San Galgano and the sword in the rock
The Round or Montesiepi's Hermitage was built right after the death of the saint, over the ancient hut where St. Galgano spent his last year of life.
The Hermitage was consecrated in 1185 by Volterra's bishop Ildebrando Pannocchieschi, with the imprimatur of Pope Lucio III.
Lorenzettiís Chapel Ė The Round Ė The Sword in the Stone Ė The Tombstone
The little building is made up of the church, the chapel with Lorenzetti's frescos and the entrance pronaos.
The church is based on a circular plan, only broken off by the little apse.
The roof is constituted by a beautiful semi-spherical dome with alternate chromatic sectors.
Inside, right at the centre of the Round, there is the famous St. Galgano's Sword, that has been in the stone for longer than 800 years.
Now itís protected by a case.
Spazio a disposizione per la Tua pubblicità su Sangalgano.info.
Per le sole informazioni pubblicitarie contattaci inviando una email a email@example.com
Ti è piaciuta questa pagina?
Se "SI" votaci su Google premendo il pulsante +1 qui accanto
e per restare in contatto con noi seguici su
You are us
visitator from 30/09/01
Translation of: Elisa "the Bianca Tigre" and Elena A.